Tournament Notice: 2021 Garden State Judo Classic
Hosted By: North Jersey Judo
Tournament Director: Ramon Hernandez
Tournament Referee: Devin Cohen
Sanctioned By: USA JUDO //* USA JUDO ROSTER POINT EVENT *//
Attn: All 2020 Judo Competitors,
Welcome to our tournament web site and good luck to everyone competing in 2021. North Jersey Judo will be hosting 1 tournament this year.
- Registration & Weigh-ins Date & Time: Saturday, September 11, 2021 12pm to 4pm
- Registration Site: North Jersey Judo | 246 Wanaque Avenue | Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442
- Tournament Date: Sunday, September 12, 2021
- Tournament Site: Wayne Police Athletic League | 1 Pal Drive | Wayne, NJ 07470
- HOTEL: Baymont Hotel | 140 Route 23 North | Pompton Plains, NJ 07444 973-988-1459
- Note: Courtesy Block Of 30 Rooms For Garden State Judo Classic $100
- Competition Areas: 5 IJF Size Competition Areas Tatami 1 Meter X 2 Meter
Important Notice: No Registration or Weigh-Ins Day of Tournament!!
$1000 in Prize Money Awarded To Gold Medal Winner
Of The Senior Men’s BLACK BELT ELITE OPEN DIVISION
Head Instructor | North Jersey Judo
Tournament Director | Garden State Judo Classic
WHO IS ELIGIBLE:
US Competitors: Must be a current member of ATJA, AJJF, USJI, USJA, or USJF. Foreign Competitors: Must provide a written approval from their National Federation or present a current Federation Card of their own country. Membership cards must be shown at weigh-in time, or a copy of the card should be included with pre-registration. Application forms to USJI/USJF/USJA WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE so register ahead of time online.
REGISTRATION AND WEIGH IN:
- All Competitors: 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Saturday, September 11, 2021 @ North Jersey Judo
- NJJ Address: North Jersey Judo | 246 Wanaque Avenue | Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE DAY OF EVENT:
- 5 – 12 Years Old: Start Time 9:00am SHARP
- 13 – 20 Years Old: Start Time 11:00am
- Seniors Black Elite Start Time 1:00pm
- Senior Novice Start Time 1:00pm
- Veterans Start Time 1:00pm
HOW MUCH: (NO REFUNDS)
- Online Registration $65.00 NON-POINT CATEGORY Until Thursday, September 9, 2021 – 7pm
- Online Registration $80.00 POINT CATEGORY Until Thursday, September 9, 2021 – 7pm
- Mail-in Registration $90.00 POINTS OR NON-POINTS Until Friday, September 3, 2021 Postmarked
- Late Registration $90.00 Friday, August 27, 2021 Cash Only (No Personal Checks)
WHAT RULES: Modified IJF rules, Modified Double Elimination. No chokes OR armbars in 5-12 years old divisions. Chokes Allowed in 13 – 20 years old divisions, Senior Novice, Senior Elite & Veterans Divisions. Armbars Allowed in IJF Cadet, IJF Junior, Black Belt Elite & Veterans Brown & Above. No Arm Bars IN NOVICE DIV at all.
- Medals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place.
- $150 Cash Prize Money for winners of the Female and Male Elite Divisions with 6 or more competitors to qualify for the prize money.
- $1000 GRAND PRIZE FOR SENIOR MENS GRAND CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION. To Qualify for this division, you need to win your Senior Men’s Black Belt Elite Division. The Grand Championship Division will be played at the end of the event for $1000 CASH PRIZE.
ATTN ALL COACHES – YOU MUST REGISTER WITH TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR THAT YOU WILL BE THERE DAY OF EVENT, MUST HAVE COACHES BADGE AND YOUR SAFESPORT HAS TO BE UP TO DATE TO GET YOUR WRISTBAND FOR ALLOWENCE ON MATSIDE.
Seeding/Draw: Seeding for Senior Categories, the top four national ranked athletes will be seeded if they compete in the weight division in which they are ranked. #1 and 4 shall be place on one side and #2 and #3 will be place on other side of bracket. If there are any byes, #1 shall get it; if there are 2 byes, #’s 1 and 2 shall get them, etc. If any of the top 4 nationally ranked athletes are not in attendance, athletes ranked #5 and below SHALL NOT be seeded, i.e., “moved up” to the next higher seed position. Example: if #2 is not present, then #3 shall be seeded as #2 and #4 shall be seeded as #3. Athletes ranked #5 and below SHALL NOT be seeded, i.e. “moved up” to the next higher seed position. The draw shall be done at random, with the exception of seeded athletes. Allowable restrictions are that players from the same club or state may be separated in opposite pools or quadrants if possible in the bracket.
- Round Robin (for divisions having 5 or less competitors)
- Double Repechage
- Modified Double Elimination
JUNIOR, CADET, IJF JUNIOR, ALL SENIORS & VETERAN CATEGORIES OF COMPETITION AND WEIGHT DIVISIONS
Please note that each Category is based solely on the year in which the contestant was born. All weights are in kilograms. For each weight division, the weight range will be over the next lower weight and up to and including the weight listed. Example: Bantam 1, 28 kg – over 23 kg and up to and including 28 kg. The following age/weight categories will be in use for this year’s event (2021):
JUNIOR AND SENIOR POINTS AND NON-POINTS CATEGORIES:
NON-POINTS CATEGORIES (DESIGNED FOR NOVICE WHITE AND YELLOW BELTS ONLY COMPETITIORS)
- GIRLS 9-10 Years Old: Light, Medium, heavy (White & Yellow Belts Novice Only) NO POINTS
- GIRLS 11-12 Years Old: Light, Medium, heavy (White & Yellow Belts Novice Only) NO POINTS
- BOYS 9-10 Years Old: Light, Medium, heavy (White & Yellow Belts Novice Only) NO POINTS
- BOYS 11-12 Years Old: Light, Medium, heavy (White & Yellow Belts Novice Only) NO POINTS
USA JUDO POINT CATEGORIES (YOU CAN ONLY ENTER ONE POINT DIVISION AT THIS EVENT)
- BANTAM 1 (Born 2015-2016): Female and Male: 23, +23 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- BANTAM 2 (Born 2013-2014): Female and Male: 23, 27, 31, 35, +35 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- BANTAM 3 (Born 2011-2012) Female: 27, 32, 37,+37 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- BANTAM 3 Male: 25, 30, 36, 42, +42kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- JUVENILE (Born 2007-2008): Female and Male: 36, 40, 44, 48, 53, 58, 64, +64 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- CADET (Born 2004-2006): Female: 40, 44, 48, 52, 57, 63, 70, +70 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- CADET (Born 2004 – 2006) Male: 50, 55, 60, 66, 73, 81, 90, +90 kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- IJF-JUNIOR (Born 2001-2006): Female: 48, 52, 57, 63, 70, 78, +78 kg, (POINTS CATEGORY)
- IJF – JUNIOR (Born 2001-2006): Male: 60, 66, 73, 81, 90, 100, +100 kg, (POINTS CATEGORY)
- Senior Black Belt Elite Female: -52kg, -57kg, -63kg, -70kg, +70kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- Senior Black Belt Elite Men: -60kg, -66kg, -73kg, -81kg, -90kg, -100kg +100kg (POINTS CATEGORY)
- Senior Novice Female: -52kg, -57kg, -63kg, -70kg, +70kg or Light, Medium, Heavy (NO POINTS)
- Senior Novice Men: -60kg, -66kg, -73kg, -81kg, -90kg, -100kg +100kg or Light, Medium, Heavy (NO POINTS)
- VETERAN FEMALE: -52kg, -57kg, -63kg, -70kg, +70kg or Light, Medium, Heavy WI 15 Y/O/A (NO POINTS)
- VETERAN MALE: -60kg, -66kg, -73kg, -81kg, -90kg, -100kg +100kg or Light, Medium, Heavy WI 15 Y/O/A (NO POINTS)
Ages 5 – 12 Years Old – 3 Minutes / 2 Minutes Golden Score
Ages 13 – 17 Years Novice Old – 3 Minutes / 2 Minutes Golden Score
Cadet & IJF Junior – 4 Minutes / No Golden Score Limit
Senior Black Belt Elite 4 Minutes / No Golden Score Limit
Adult Novice – 3 Minutes / 2 Minute Golden Score
Veterans – 3 Minutes / 2 Minute Golden Score
Judo-gi requirements: IJF judogi Requirements regarding sizing will be enforced for ALL CATEGORIES at this event. Athletes, coaches and parents should study these requirements at the following link:
Judo gi color: In the Cadet, IJF Junior, Senior, and Veteran categories, the blue and white judogi requirement is mandatory. In all other categories we encourage the wearing of a blue judogi by the “blue” side competitor. However, 5-6 thru Juvenile can wear white judogi’s. IJF labeled approved gi’s are not required, but gi’s must meet IJF sizing requirements. Under no circumstances shall both competitors be allowed to compete in blue gis, nor will the blue and white competitors be allowed to switch positions. The gi jacket and pants must be the same color; no mixing of colors.
In all matches where both competitors are wearing white gis, both competitors will remove their grade belts and wear a blue or white belt to identify the contestant’s designated color for the match. COMPETITORS AND THEIR COACHES IN 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, INTERMEDIATE & JUVENILE CATEGORIES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING THEIR OWN BLUE AND WHITE BELTS FOR THIS COMPETITION. THIS RULE WILL ENSURE THAT THE BELTS FIT PROPERLY.
HEAD REFEREE: Devin Cohen Email: [email protected]
ATTENTION REFEREES: All referees who wish to work the 2021 Garden State Judo Classic event must contact Devin Cohen directly via email for approval. This event will serve as a Re-Evaluation & Exam Site for USA Judo. At least one A or B Level Referee will oversee all mat areas. Referee Compensation will be stipend of $50 and a Garden State Judo Classic Referee Polo. REFEREE MEETING: Referee registration will be held from 6PM night before event. A referee clinic hosted by Devin Cohen will take place following referee registration. Venue for meeting will be North Jersey Judo | 246 Wanaque Avenue | Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442. Dinner will be served at meeting, Coffee & Bagels for breakfast and lunch day of event.
ATHLETE ENTRY REQUIREMENT CHECKLIST
To assure the requirements for participation for the 2021 Garden State Judo Classic have been fulfilled, the following must be completed before presenting to registration and weigh-ins Saturday, September 11, 2021.
❑ Entry Form Postmarked by Friday, September 3, 2021 $90.00 if mailed in. Better to register online @ www.gardenstatejudoclassic.com.
❑ Must Present Copy of current and up to date USA JUDO, USJF, USJA, ATJA, or AJJF membership card.
❑ Warning, Waiver, Release of Liability and Agreement to Participate must be signed easier online.
❑ Proof of Age: Copy of birth certificate, passport, or USA JUDO membership card having the verification symbol “(V)” printed following the birth date. A driver’s license is not proof of age! This is required for any point category. Must show at Registration and Weigh-in.
❑ Certificate of United States Citizenship and age. Copy of birth certificate, military identification, passport, voter registration card, or USA JUDO membership card having the verification symbol “(V)” printed following date of birth. U.S. Citizenship is verified by a “C” printed at the bottom of the USA Judo membership card.
❑ Coach Registration Must Be Done To Ensure All Coaches Have Safe Sport, Heads-Up Concussion and Coach Certification from either USA Judo, USJF or USJA.